So I should probably be writing my book right now but I’m doing this instead. I’m writing about writing a book. Meta.
So it’s been about a week since I announced I’m writing a book, Doing It, and a week and a half since I actually started putting words to paper (or computer screen). I actually found out I had the book deal back in February – so long ago! But there was a lot of back and forth over contracts, I had to find a literary agent and then we worked on the topics, themes, tone, outline and structure and then I was out of the country, but now I’m here and I’m not budging from my kitchen table until this book is written.
On my first day of writing I felt like a wizard, I wrote 2,700 words! That’s more than a university essay – in one day! I’ve had on and off days from writing but so far I’ve written 10,000+ words. My dissertation was 12,000 and that took me 9 months! I’m not sure if this means I’m writing absolute crap or that I am genuinely passionate about the topic. Maybe it’s both.
So far on my book writing journey I have:
- Found a website that helps me track my progress
- Written 10,000 words
- Emailed 18 people people about contributing to the book and heard back from 17 of them
- Interviewed my grandma and great-grandma about their sex education and typed up the transcripts
- Arranged a trip to Manchester this weekend to interview my mum about her sex education
- Collected stories from friends on Facebook about their masturbation routines and techniques
- Learnt that pregnancy tests in the 1960s involved injecting a frog with a woman’s urine
- Had flash-backs of what underwear I was wearing when I lost my virginity
I am genuinely having the best time writing Doing It. Although, I did help myself out by starting easy and writing about my personal experiences. That stuff is all in my head already so it’s easy to write about. I’m expecting the more serious topics and proper factual, advice-giving parts to be the biggest challenge of writing this book. And like a responsible adult, I’m avoiding writing those parts for as long as I can!
I’m planning on doing a video about the book writing process in a few weeks when I’m further along. If you have any questions you’d like me to answer in the video please leave them in the comments of this blog post!
Wish me luck!